Before deciding what crop you are going to grow you need to look carefully at the site:
- Accessibility - Can I get to the plot with cultivator, drill and sprayer?
- Soil type - Will my soil type limit my choices?
- Aspect - Is the site warm and sunny or very open to the wind?
- Shading - Is the site shaded by trees?
- Weeds - What weeds am I likely to encounter and what will I need to do to control them
- pests - Is the site prone to damage from Rabbits, Hares, Deer, Corvids, etc
We see far too many game crops failing because the soil structure is wrecked through cultivating in poor conditions with the wrong equipment. If the soil structure is poor it is less able to retain nutrients, creating a poor root zone and making it less able to support microbial life essential to a healthy soil.